A police officer told me that it is up to me to charge my husband with assault. Is that true?

This information is not intended to serve as or replace legal advice. Please contact a feminist rape crisis centre, transition house or women's centre to get further information and referrals for legal advice for your specific situation.

NO. When someone breaks the law by assaulting or threatening they have committed an offense against the public. The police have the publically assigned responsibility to arrest and recommend charges when they suspect that the law has been broken. When you make a statement to the police about an assault or a threat of assault, it is their responsibility to investigate swiftly and thoroughly and to proceed effectively. It is not up to the victim whether charges are to be laid or not, nor whether someone is to be arrested or not.

Call a rape crisis centre, transition house or women's centre if you need advocacy to get the police to take your complaint seriously!